View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 07:36 AM
rdy1tk2

My first Quilting Board post .
I first read this thread when I joined a few weeks back and it was the same day I started designing my first Quilts of Valour project. I was inspired by the attached Union Jack quilt (pattern purchased from etsy). I stitched two of the Union Jack lap quilts and shipped them to the UK to donate for a dog rescue organization that is near and dear to my heart. One quilt was auctioned and the other one raffled and they raised £225 (about $350).

I designed my Canadian version in photoshop by dragging in a flag and creating a grid over top of it and then manipulating the maple leaf until all the points fell nicely on the edge of a square and used that grid to create a pattern to paper-piece. And I had to laugh at myself because after all that, I remembered I had purchased EQ6 last year and it probably would have been much more quilter-like to use that.

I forgot to take pictures along way but now need some advice to finish up ...
The proper Canadian flag ratio is 2:1 (length to height), I've already cheated that a bit - the quilt is 65"x35" - but in my opinion 35" is too narrow for a lap quilt that is likely to end up in the lap of a male soldier.
Should I add a border? I was thinking a 3" black border with a maple leaf pantograph - but I think that might detract from the flag look? or do I add a row top and bottom and throw the "proper" ratio out the window?
Any suggestions?

I plan on top-stitching it with the same wave pattern as the Union Jack - a self-made design that I created by stealing a 1"x4" six-foot length of wood from hubby's workshop, tracing a sine wave on it and using a jigsaw to cut it out and a mouse sander to smooth the edges. I then placed it on my frame at the back of the machine and used a guide to follow the edge of the wood. Again there's probably a more quilter-like way of doing it but this way fit my budget.

Mo

[ATTACH=CONFIG]340056[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]340057[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails union-jack-flag.jpg   canada-flag-1-.jpg