View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 11:11 AM
NanaCsews2

I just did this last week. Hated the way the binding was on an heirloom quilt. In a hurry to get it done and had already spent too much time sitting and quilting. So, took it off, ironed and starched the binding. I did not remove the final seam in the binding that held it all together. It fit perfectly around the quilt again anyway. I just made sure no seam ended up on a corner. I do bias binding and trust me there are plenty of seams. I sewed the binding to the front, mitered the corners, flipped it over and then glued down the binding to the back instead of pinning it. This made the width of the binding even all around. Even after ironing the glued binding, it can easily be pulled up and readjusted if needed. Then I used the serpentine stitch to secure the binding by sewing from the front of the quilt. I lined up the left edge of the serpentine stitch to the left edge of the binding (where the SID would generally be). This ensured the stitch on the back binding is even all around. Once it is washed, the natural puckered look covers up any stitches out of line. I did not have time to hand-stitch the binding so the serpentine stitch works great for me. Looks good on the front and the back.