Old 06-05-2012, 07:15 PM
PurplePetal

sew4nin--if you like to dig, GW is a blast--got some good quality clothing--exactly what I needed--all of the rejects from
other GW goes there b/f going into land fills, so I don't feel I am taking from others who need clothing.
skjak--thanks, haven't heard of Mary Ann Kenney

par4theday--I think I'll get the Leader/Ender book

Omabi--Oh I wish now I had kept my son's clothes to make quilts--welcome to the board, I feel honored mine was your first post!

jungle--you must have made lots of quilts

jeanneb52--"mating" in the dark-- too funny

georgiamarbles--would love to see your grandmas quilt, hope you post pic--i'm a newcomer to QB as well, love this place--very welcoming

GeriB--YoYos & buttons--yet another project!!

Wonder why dryer sheets work? this suggestion has come up a lot. I tried it and it works..

Here's my lessons:
I'm still cutting.
I wake up thinking about my fabric, and it's the first thing I do when I get my chores done and my other work finished. I look at every piece of fabric I see (and I mean every piece--do you know what I mean) & my mind tries to figure out how I'll cut it up. Oh the madness!

I still have several men's shirts to deconstruct & then I'll be able to start sewing

After cutting strips (mainly 1 1/2, 2, & 2 1/2"), I'm going to change my cutting strategy & go for cutting bigger rectangle pieces, I want to start sewing & playing. I told my self I can't start till I finish cutting.

My biggest piece is a 3xL men's shirt back, it came out to a 28" x 28" square
yokes cut into 2" and 1 1/2" strips
sleeves come out to be 20" X 10" depending on size
Pockets, cuffs, are good for smaller squares that I cut while I watch TV
My hands are always busy with cutting something
I like cutting the smaller pieces, not so much the strips,
I like the feeling I get when I see the piles stacked neatly waiting for me.
I feel like I am "stocking" my sewing pantry
I feel very productive & peaceful.

My husband is happy that I'm happy.