Old 06-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Charlee

Originally Posted by path49 View Post
Charlee, what do you mean by "gray areas"? I'm asking 'cause I refinished that same cabinet for my 403. Mine was a REAL mess when I got it. There were thick sloppy layers of varnish over dirt. Someone replaced a screw on the right front leg with one that was so long it was sticking out the side. Veneer peeling with a gummy glue just rubbed on top to stick it down(?). Unbelievable mess!

Anyway, it took a lot of work (stripping, filling, even some false graining) but it looks really nice now. I finished it with tung oil, buffing with fine steel wool between coats. And after the 2nd coat, the left front leg developed some light whitish-gray streaks. I've refinished a lot of furniture & NEVER had anything like that happen before...kinda looked like it was waxed over a damp spot! I had to buff them out & blend stain over those spots twice before I got rid of them. I was thinking that there was some kind of filler in the wood that stripping & sanding didn't remove...& that it reacted either with the tung oil or the mineral spirits that I wiped it down with after buffing with the steel wool.

Like I said, I've been around refinishing forever...my folks collected antiques. And, I've redone a lot of pieces myself & I've never had this happen. When I saw a mention of gray areas on the very same cabinet, it made me wonder if the same thing happened to you.

By the way, I think your's turned out great!
Yep. "Whitish-gray streaks" pretty much covers it! In some spots, "blotches". The shellac had dried a week before I tried MinWax Finishing Wax....and got the gray. I removed the wax, buffed with steel wool, reapplied another coat of shellac...and got gray again. They may have been there before I put the wax on, but I didn't notice them...

I did notice that this cabinet seems to be made of "leftovers". One side panel is a pretty tiger oak, one a straight grain oak. All of the woods seemed to be different colors as far as browns, reds, grays...one of the legs is darker like the rest of the cabinet on one side, and light tan on the other...

This cabinet was a challenge to be sure, and I just got to the point where I thought it looked nice enough, even tho it wouldn't have passed Skip's inspection if he was doing it himself!!