Old 06-06-2012, 12:28 AM
burchquilts

Originally Posted by 1000projects View Post
Ok, the Jelly Roll Race is about LETTING GO of planning and just enjoying the sewing process. If you don't like 4 strips form your roll, toss them out. Piece everything else randomly. If you have extra unwashed FQ hanging out, you can make some shorter strips and toss them in for fun. Or add any unwashed scraps, cut into 2.5" strips.

I am OK with 2 identical strips being next to each other. Though if they lined up exactly start to finish, I might grab the scissors and fix that problem :-)

Getting the size you want: Take your strip pile and sew, sew, sew until you have a long piece 4 strips or 8 strips wide. At that point, it is much easier to measure the length of the long strip and decide on a final outcome.

example: 8 strips by 400 inches = 16 strips by 200 inches =32 strips by 100 inches (final 64x100")
if you don't like the final size, you can modify that now. Want the quilt 64" wide by 84" long? just chop all strips to 64" and stop sewing when you reach the target length. You can also choose to fold 3 ways instead of 2, to get the right final size. (Do this with 4 or 8 strips combined, not at the initial stage of 1 strip by 1600")
That is super helpful! Thanks so much! As for me relaxing, I'll be sure to alert y'all when that happens... LOL! Heck, it'd be such news that it would probably be on CNN!

As it stands now, I may just hack some of the width off top #1. I just think it's gonna end up being too wide so part of it may have to go. Then I'll just sew a new inner border on & go from there.

Once again... THANKS!!!