Thread: Quilt with Wool
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 05:18 AM
eparys

Originally Posted by samanthaL View Post
...What should I use for batting?
I might use Bamboo batting or even wool. Both are light and cuddly but warm.

What about backing? Can I use regular thread and needles? What do I use if I want to add ties to it for the look? Whats a good size block to work with? I have a 4in cut template and an 8in. And I am doing it just simple squares.
I would use Flannel on the back (it does not slide )and yes regular thread and needles are fine. I would stick to 8" squares (the addition of ties might complicate washing of it afterwards??) - easy to handle and assembles quickly.

I am making the first one for my Dad as a Thank You since he is throwing my daughters 1st Birthday Party at the end of the month. He has no blankets at his house I swear! So masculine is important but cuddle on the couch worthy. I am torn on size too! Whats a goodsize for 2 people to cuddle on the couch with?
Here is a great chart that gives standard sizes as well as mattress sizes and prepackaged batting. You can make it ANY size you want (there are no "quilt police" lol) -which size do you think?

I am sorry for all the questions. I am still learning. I have really only made one quilt that wasn't patchwork and that was my last one that was bricks and sashing. .
Don't be sorry - that's what forums like this are all about!! Keep asking .