Old 06-06-2012, 05:55 AM
mhollifiel

I love the ease of the rag quilt idea but personally think that, since this will be a keepsake for sure, something more classically quilty would probably be better. The idea about the line that has alphabet blocks is a really good one. I am hoping that you would like to get this done fairly quickly and get this girl married to you. So follow the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) rule and make something beautiful and simple. We quilters gravitate to lots of neat "things" that make a quilt FABULOUS but the fabulous here is the job this quilt is made to do in a simple and beautiful way.

1. Get good "CIA" help from local quilter shop or quilters.
2. Pick a simple plan. I think just blocks made of beautiful fabrics in a simple arrangement.
3. Either include a large embroidered (Hire this done) square or use alphabet fabric blocks spelling out your request in your pattern.
4. Put on a nice double border.
5. Have it professionally quilted.
6. MAKE A LABEL and attach it.
7. Either bind it yourself or get someone in your family to help with this who is a quilter. That way they are involved close to the revelation of what you are doing with less chance to spill the beans.
8. Help plan the wedding!

We are here for you along the way. You HAVE to keep us posted!