Thread: My first quilt.
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 09:31 AM
alisonquilts

Originally Posted by lakekids View Post
I have done several T-shirt quilts and quilted on my domestic sewing machine. I usually stabalize the quilt sandwich by stiching in the ditch. Then I go back and quilt the blocks. I have used both invisible thread in the top and a varigated thread. I stitch various background designs in each block (meandering, echo quilting, vines and leaves , waves etc.). I will usully outline the block design and sometimes stitch within the design itself (lines of a basketball, around letters, etc). When stitiching in the design itself, the key is to go slow. The design itself sometimes has a tendency to grab your needle.

Here is alink to one of the ones I have done.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post4790296
I agree! I have done several T-shirt quilts, and the only thing I would add to lakekids' comments is that certain types of plastic-feeling printed patterns on T-shirts always grab my needle and break my thread, but that even the densest pattern has a few areas where the original T-shirt color shows through, and these areas are fine to quilt in. I have stabilized many a large design by doing stipple stitching within these smaller areas.

I think your quilt is very handsome! Your friend is going to love it.

Alison