Old 06-06-2012, 09:47 AM
QuilterMomma

It is cream and tan with a hard plastic case. Will post photo in a few here for ya. I did not plug into outlet, it has a seperate plug all its own which that extension is plugged into wall. Had to remember which one is light and which one is motor. If ya goof, ya know. I will see if I can take apart and check the wiring and report back in a little bit. Thanks for help.
Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
QM,
I don't know what a Singer 2404 looks like, but most of the foot controllers up until the 70s were carbon pile or resistance wire type controllers. The backs will either screw off, pop off, or slide off.
Most of them can be cleaned and adjusted. And all can be rewired if needed. There is said to be a tutorial on adjusting them somewhere. Several have mentioned it, but none put in a link to it. Or if they did I missed it.

Make sure the motor is lubed if it can be. And plugging it into the wall isn't much of a way to test it. The outlet will hit the motor with more juice than it normally gets through the controller.

Do you have another foot controller to try on it? That would be the easy way? I'd almost bet though that the machine has sat unused for a long while and the motor is gummed up. My local SMG said in those cases he takes the belt off and runs them wide open till they free up. He even says sometimes he hoses the brush area out with lighter fluid and runs it till dry. ( Caution that can ignite, keep back if you do this.)

Joe