Old 06-06-2012, 11:09 PM
BizzieLizzie

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Hello B Lizzie,

Lovely to hear from a compatriot. I keep telling everyone here that we have fantastic machines in England waiting to be picked up.

Well there's a thing, my great great great grandfather was a tailor too, but I doubt he ever used a sewing machine, that's going back to pre-Famine Ireland. He was followed by three generations of tailoresses in this country, who I expect spent many hours on treadles.

Looking forward to hearing more about your machine and what you make on it...
Helllo Muv,

thank you. Nice to 'meet' someone from this part of the world! Indeed, I think that we have the best selection of vintage items from machines to all sorts. I guess it is because of the need to stick to tradition passed from generation to generation.

My grandfathers of years gone by were wealthy tailors having obtained their wealth in tea plantations in China. When the red army came along, the family fled to Singapore and established themselves there as tailors until the Japanese came along and basically tore Singapore to shreds, destroying all that they had. The part between the occupation and freedom is a blur and there is no one left to tell the tale and they barely spoke about it. My grandmother spoke in bursts about how she hated the Japanese and that was all she would say.

I cannot quite remember what happened since the end of the war but all I know is that they sewed on these machines.

I will attempt to sew on this lovely machine once I get settled in our new home. It needs a little tender loving care. Once I am sorted with the move, you get bet your last pound/dollar I am going to try it out. Will keep you posted. Lovely to hear from you.