Old 06-06-2012, 11:28 PM
BizzieLizzie

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
Great find and nice that you were able to get it going again. What a fantastic price too ... even in pounds. I wanted to thank you for the website you included in this posting. I started reading through it and could hardly pull myself away. Loved the history and story about the 99K someone bought from this couple. Also, I never thought about all the machines that were lost during the war ... along with so many other things including the most important loss: lives. It was nice to read about your find. Hope it sews perfectly for you when you try it out. Hope to see pictures of it when you get it cleaned up and going.
Hi KLO,

thank you. It is a superb price for England. Most antiques are recognised and priced nearer the £45 and upwards mark. To be able to get one under £40 was a bargain. It needs a little polishing and 'dusting' (lol) and once it is nice and shiny, it will have its place in a display cabinet. I will use it but it needs some recognition! (lol)

The owner who donated it to the charity shop said that it was working perfectly until the crank stopped moving. My guess is that he/she was told that a part needed replacing and it probably cost too much. There are some unscrupulous businessmen/women out there ready to charge a premium for their service which is why when I found the website, I was so thankful that Sid was so helpful and had not jumped at the opportunity to service the machine as I originally asked him if he would do.

Yes, the war did a lot of damage to our family and to millions of people. I feel that the heads of the countries should come off their high horses and sit down with their heads screwed on tightly and communicate properly. All this unnecessary pain and loss can be avoided. If people weren't so greedy and fighting for control the world could be a better place, don't you think?

Maybe I am simplifying things too much but that is my heart felt opinion. Thank you for your post.