Old 06-07-2012, 05:44 AM
homebody323

The watch is a good idea since there is already approval. For a future thought, xmas is coming. When my son was in the army in Afghanistan just 2 years ago, he practically begged for a extra long (he's 6'4") twin size quilt with no green in it. That's all they see and colors of their favorite teams brings them warm memories in their off hours. I used college fabric for some of it - he loves OU. Sent him a pillowcase to match. His buddies asked him to get some for them. He says it's either killer hot or freezing cold where he was and the quilt was a blessing for those freezing days too. Interestingly enough his other requests were for non reflective metal screening to replace the nylon type their hut came with (the bugs there ate that) and insulation type tape. He said that where they were the sleeping buildingings were made of plywood and where the joints met, the sand came through. I sent him the tape and screen. Odd requests but they really appreciated it. Once he gets stationed he will have his own specific requests for his location I'm sure. Oh yes, he also asked for drink mix they could add to bottled water. They were shipping them pallets of bottled water but the pop drinking kid i raised wanted some taste. Power bars were another thing they asked for but even on sale they were $.75 each and he was sharing with his tent and misc friends. I shouldn't complain, he learned the lesson about sharing at least LOL. I had to set limits on those and he had to learn that only so many would come each week and he needed to be selective about sharing or go without. Your nephew is a lucky guy.