View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 07:20 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Yeah but you also have to look at it this way, the person can either really love and enjoy your gift(ie time well spent) or hate the color design, etc shove it in a closet and never use it(time and money wasted). Some people are picky, but if I am gonna make something that time consuming and precious I would like to know it will be cherished
I agree 100% with Dolphyngyrl. If I want the person to use and like the quilt I made for them, I will either ask what colors they want/like or I will be sneaky and observant in the colors they use for their decor. IMHO color is a very personal choice and we react to color subliminally as well as consciously. I love quilts and I know how much work goes into one, but if I were gifted a quilt in colors I can't stand I know I would not use it. Some people love orange and purple together, me, not so much. Some love brights, some want subdued country colors like kansas troubles. A floral print may not be a suitable choice for a manly type man. Even going all neutral colors (beiges, browns, taupes) which I personally love, could be an epic fail for someone who loves color. So I think asking for color preferences is a wise choice if you want your quilt to be used and not end up as a dog bed or resting spot for greasy engine parts.

Edited to add, art (paintings etc) is also very personal. So if you expect it to be displayed and hung in the person's home, you better know the recipients tastes. I would never presume to paint a picture of a cat and gift it to someone who didn't like cats. Or paint a picture in all red hues for someone who had their house decorated in all creams and tans and browns.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 06-07-2012 at 07:22 AM.