View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 12:47 PM
patmas57

I've come across this lots of times in the past... patterns that don't have clear instructions. I agree with charity-crafter that you should contact the designer and ask for clarification. And maybe even bigger pictures! I have a lot of patterns that come from a Canadian company that drafts custom patterns for you based on personal measurements. (Actually, mine were based on a laser scan, but the current owners don't do that any more.) The instructions for their own patterns, as opposed to some from a major pattern company that they can size for you, are often vague and I suspect that they just assume you know what they mean. I did have to contact them once when I was confused, and they were very helpful (and apologetic).
The worst was back when I had just graduated high school. I was working in a fabric store (the old Clothworld that I think JoAnns bought out), and we were encouraged to sew and wear the items we'd sewn for "encouraging" customers. Back then, you really could sew your college wardrobe for less, too. I remember being so frustrated about sewing the placket on a long-sleeved blouse. I finally went to a friend's mother, who made it seem so easy, and when I looked back at the pattern, I decided one problem was that they had picked the wrong step to illustrate. I would have totally given up without her expert guidance.
Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask. You bought the pattern, after all; the designer owes you!