Old 06-07-2012, 05:04 PM
cad_queen_2000

Default Did I get a good deal on 108" 100% cotton muslin?

I was visiting my sister in Michigan today. (I am from Ontario) We went to Joann's and bought some fabrics. Then I mentioned that I read on here that people were seeing more and more fabric aisles in WM. So, we decided to go there and check it out. Sure enough!! there were at least 4 aisles of fabric.

While scouting around, I found a bolt of the 108" wide muslin. I thought I could use this for quilt backings. The price was 3.00/yd. I asked how much was on the bolt, and the lady estimated around 8 or 9 yds. So I told her that I would take the whole bolt. It turned out to be 9 3/8 yds.

I am sure that the 108" wide quilt backing was around $14 - $15 /metre at my LQS the last time I looked. I ripped it straight and washed it. Then tried to dry it, (took forever!). I have it laying across my bed right now, to make sure that it dries completely before i put it away. I think I might be able to get 4 quilt backs from it.

I guess my question is............. did I find a good buy for the purpose of using the muslin for quilt backings, or not?