Thread: Ting Oil?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 06:08 AM
w1613s

My 19 x 26 foot library has floor to ceiling oak bookshelves. I couldn't afford the furniture maker's price for giving them a hand rubbed tung oil finish so I did it myself. If you use just pure tung oil it's easy, the finish is wonderful, any future scratches, worn spots, etc. are easy to fix and the oil doesn't come off on fabric or books. BUT if you have an "overachieve-ing" moment and use the tung oil that has stain in it, REMEMBER that if you quit and then begin again another day, there is a good chance that changes in humidity, temperature, how you do what you're doing, etc. can cause a difference in the color of your project.

When I was doing what seemed miles of bookshelves, it took days. I quit at what seemed to be spots that would not show the stop/start as clearly. A sewing cabinet and drawers probably shouldn't present that sort of problem but life is dynamic and has surprises to offer.

We love the library some 30 years later. Now and then I use pure tung oil on it just because I can. The furniture guy also made my sewing center, my son's beds/armoires/nightstands wall, and the floor to ceiling cabinet doors in our great room. Now that I think of it, I've hand rubbed miles of oak with tung oil. You will love the look of it, the easy upkeep, and just plain using of it.

Pat