Old 06-09-2012, 07:21 AM
paintmejudy

Default Step 4

And here we go, ready or not!

FIVE-COLOR QUILT
Cut one WOF strip each of A, B, C, and D fabrics, each measuring 4-½” wide. Cut 12 pieces measuring 2-½” x 4-½” from EACH of the four A B C and D fabrics.

Arrange 12 of the strips in a color placement pleasing to you. Colors do not have to be in order of ABCD, but it would be best to use your background color in one of the inside positions. (My background is in the #3 position) Piece together along the 4-½” side using Ό” seams.

Picture, top to bottom shows:
the 8 extra background pieces
12 strips sewn together
the 2 background pieces sewn to each end of the strip made from the 12 pieces

Now you will need an additional eight rectangles of the background fabric measuring 2-½” x 4-½” wide. (You should have already cut and set aside 4 of these from the step 3 - I had you cut eight pieces when you only needed four.)

Sew one of these background rectangles to each side of the 12-piece strip you just made. Press.
Make three more identical sections like this, for a a total of 4 strips each having 14 rectangles.

SCRAPPY Option:
So sorry -- I forgot to take a picture of this step before I sewed it into the quilt top. I think you can see what I did by looking at the picture

Using scraps:
Cut 48 pieces 2-½” x 4-½” of your scraps. Cut eight 2-½” x 4-½” of the background color.

Lay out 12 of the scrappy rectangles in a manner pleasing to your eye, . Sew along the 4-½” side with Ό” seams. At each end of this strip, place a background rectangle. Press. You will have 14 pieces in this section.

Make three more sections like this, mixing up the order of your strip placement to avoid duplicate fabric placement. Make it random.

Using charm squares:
Take the leftover charms and cut to 2-½” wide, sew 12 strips together along the 5" side, press and trim the strip to 4-½” wide. If you don’t have enough of the charm packs left, cut 2-½” x 5” pieces from scrap. Press, then trim this piece to 4-½” wide. (Easier to cut the strip to correct width than to have to trim all your individual little charm squares)

Cut 8 background fabric pieces measuring 2-½” x 4-½”. Add a background rectangle to each end and press. You will have 14 pieces of 2-½ x 4-½” pieces sewn together. Make three more identical strips of these sections.
Attached Thumbnails piano-12-sets-plus-extra-ends.jpg  

Last edited by paintmejudy; 06-09-2012 at 07:34 AM.