Old 06-09-2012, 09:16 AM
CAS49OR

I think since it is a LQS you may be able to get the owner or clerk to help you. Of course they may be busy with other customers, but let them know it is so hard for you to shop with the arrangement they have. I have the aggravation of shopping at Joann's and not being able to get the bolt out, or not being able to see the label on the top indicating what the fabric is because they are wedged so tightly together.

When I shop my LQS, (she moved so I've only been to her new store once) I will take the whole bolt of material I am considering to the front and leave it there till I'm done and have made my choices. I sometimes change my whole plan so the bolts will stack up before I'm done. I think she's kind of amused at my indecision. Her bolts are mostly on the lower shelf too. A cart is a wonderful idea! When I shop the big stores I will keep the bolts in my cart to audition the fabrics.

When I started reading this thread I thought it was going to be about the comfort during classes. She had folding tables and chairs, and my back was killing me trying to bend over to cut the fabric during class. The metal folding chairs were so uncomfortable, I brought a butt cushion and had to keep trying to adjust it every time I got up to iron. I think there should always be a cutting table at the proper height. This has actually prevented me from taking more classes there. Also, the ironing board cover was stained and it bled onto some fabric I pressed. She didn't think that was a big deal.... "just buy another yard". I'm thinking if you have students, take good care of them, provide the right environment and they will keep coming back, and will buy more from you! This is starting to sound like a rant, but the bathroom was dirty too, and that really bothered me. I started thinking I would just be so much more comfortable and have a clean environment at home, and quit taking classes there.

I'm sure you LQS owners are looking at this thread, there are many things to consider for your customers, and you do what you can. I can see both sides, but if I were you I would do whatever I could to make it comfortable to shop and learn and keep "me" coming back.