View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Holice
Banned

I will takethe time at the end of each long strip sewing to straighten it out - at least somewhat. That way there isn't too much bunching at the end that has to be cut thru. It also depends on whether you sewing the strips on the diagonal or butt them together. We did it at a retreat early this year and the timing was between 1 hr 15 min for the fastest to about 2 hours. I also length the stitch one click. I think it is just as secure but goes a bit faster. I had rather take the time to straighten the strips each time rather than take the time fiddling thru the end to retain as much of the strip as possible. One or two at the retreat didn't even cut off the selvedge, that saved time but oh........
I have even pressed each seam when it is sewed. I think it makes it easier to alighn the next strip.
So guess the bottom line is just how much time you want to take. A local quilter did one for the center and then added a border made of squares all around. There were 4 rows of squares in a nice color arrangement. Looks great.
I also made one from one fabric. It was an ombre printed in pastel stripes. I cut the sections length of the fabric rather than cross the fabric. I cut 42" sections from the fabric and then cut the strips. Made a very intereting jelly roll quilt.