View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 04:58 PM
ZugZug

Default Smallest Harp area for a King Size Quilt

I know this has probably been asked before and I apologize in advance for repeats.

I currently am just a piecer and occasionally a stitch in the ditch person. I am intriguied by the idea of a LA, however I know better than to jump all in at once. I typically do Queen and King size quilts with occasionally a Baby size thrown in (I will be sending my current projects to a LAQ).

What I am thinking about (and please correct me / give opinions if im wrong) is that I would buy a frame and a basic machine that i can put on the frame. It does not have to be a LA. Even though only having a 5"-6" area to quilt is tiresome, for introduction I know I can manage. My main concern/question is that as I roll up the finished portion of the quilt into the harp area, it will be reducing the area I have to quilt with (please correct me if I am wrong or mis-understand).

Can anyone tell me what size harp area I need to be looking for that can accomidate a King Size quilt so that I can have a beginning point on what to look for in the "used" sections of the paper, craigslist, etc. Batting would be medium loft. Space is not really a concern. I ahve two rooms in the house that will accomidate (smallest is 14x25). Also I would like to be able possibly use the quilt frame later for a different machine with a larger harp (possibly a mid-arm?). Comments? Suggestions? Advice? Condolences?

Last edited by ZugZug; 06-09-2012 at 05:04 PM.