Old 06-09-2012, 10:12 PM
crisscross

Question White 1563--sticky foot pedal, or motor issue?

Hi, new here! I have, um, a few antique and vintage machines loitering around the place....

Anyway, the machine I really use the most is a White 1563--I think it's a late 50s/early 60s model? I have spent way too much time on the internet trying to find out. Curse them for having a name that's also a regular English word! It's like a two-tone Chevy coupe, with those two glossy shades of teal, and I love it! I have a problem, though: it likes to take off running, and it's almost impossible to begin slowly--pressing the pedal down very slowly and cautiously produces an increasingly loud hum, but no movement, and then all of a sudden WHEE! It makes fiddly bits of sewing difficult to impossible.

So here's my question: I found a place to buy a new foot pedal that claims to be compatible with this machine, but I'm not sure if that will help, or if it's an issue with the capacitor or some other motor part? The new foot pedal is pretty cheap, but still a waste of money if it won't fix the problem.