View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 08:42 AM
catsnchina

Originally Posted by liont View Post
Here, I am assuming you are a hobbyist quilter, that is, you do not make quilts to sell.

When will you consider taking the plunge and investing in a Long Arm?
Has anyone done a cost analysis - include the one time price, material cost (thread, etc), and maintenance cost? How many quilts does it take to break-even compared to sending the tops out for professional long arm quilting? (This is an important question because husbands need to be convinced. LOL!)
I know many times it is more than just costs, it is the enjoyment of doing it, freedom to choose patterns, etc. But here I am looking at costs alone.

Anyone care to share? Thanks
I've really thought about purchasing one as I do all my own quilting on my Bernina 440QE and make a number of large quilts.
However, I just took a LA certification training class at one of the LQS which rents time on their HandiQuilter and Gammill long arm machines. It was fun and very informative. They have staff to help us when we rent time on their LAs.

In a couple of weeks I'm going to take a LA certification class on a Tin Lizzie at another LQS. Their hourly rental is more and the staff may not be as helpful or knowledgable, but I'll have choices.

Given the prices of even used LAs, this is my current solution.