Old 06-10-2012, 11:50 AM
VickyS

Our local LQS has a great idea - fat quarters of all materials at eye height, with the bolts up high and down low. This allows us to color match (taking them outside if necessary) and see patterns/etc without having to fight the big bolts. Fortunately this LQS also uses the OTT light type of fluorescent lighting for store lighting so I usually don't have to take them outside. Yes, the material is more expensive but staff helps with moving the bolts around and with problems on patterns/ color combos so it is a good tradeoff when I don't want to shop online.

There isn't enough floor space for seating (except in the classroom) nor is there a lot of aisle space (but being in California there is room for wheelchair access or walkers down the aisles). The store is an affiliate of my guild and does offer small discounts to guild members (every little bit helps these days).

I do what I can to support them, because they really do provide a great service to our community and are a great conduit to getting more folks interested in the art and science of quilting.