Old 06-10-2012, 01:23 PM
nurseknitsLaura

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
If it fit my needs, and I wasn't destroying a valuable, rare piece of history, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Go for it!
Thanks everyone! I knocked the legs off, got the top loose, and made the cuts. Now i need to sand and so forth. I think I will just paint the edges black, as the cabinet was plywood with a nice veneer. I am saving the bits of the cabinet for future repair projects.

Someone mentioned antique malls- I've only been to one, once, with Mizkaki, who is a very bad influence. I don't think they have antique malls around where I live. The one I saw really was fun, but the machines were a bit overpriced. Cathy said the one machine had been there every time she had stopped for years. There's one very dreadful antique shop in town here, but she prices her machines about three hundred dollars or more, or she rips the cabinets apart and makes table out of them. Then she sells the treadle heads for $25, except they rarely sell. I think i have bought one machine from her. Whenever you suggest a lower price, she looks over her glasses and says "that machine is very OLD" as thought that settles it. I ask now just to hear her say it!
Laura