View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 04:50 PM
b.zang

Default Knots off the Thread Spool

My sewing maching repairman recommended Mettler thread on my last trip, so I picked up a couple of spools to try. This thread has been anything but wonderful. The spool sometimes seems to want to "hang on" to the thread at times, making it come off in a jerky manner but that's not what has prompted this post. Today, when I reached the end of a seam there in front of my eyes was a knot tied in the thread that had just come through the tension discs. And I mean an actual tied knot with two ends, not a tangle or clump of thread. I tried pulling it through my needle, but there was no way, and I'm thankful my seam ended where it did or I would have missed the knot. There's no guessing what may have happened had that knot hit my needle at full speed.

Anyhow, I'm curious to know the experiences of others in using Mettler thread. I thought it was a quality brand, which makes me wonder if I managed to pick up an oddball spool. If my repairman recommends it, I try to follow advice but not at the expense of my peace of mind. He's too far away for a visit, or I'd ask him - probably will anyway on my next trip.