Old 06-10-2012, 06:50 PM
jljack

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Janice, at my Wednesday night Strip Club, we all got a Jelly Roll and raced to see who could finish a top in the shortest time! It is a cool pattern. You take the 40 - 42 strips and sew them all end to end with a 45 degree seam . . . like doing binding! You end up with one very long connected strip! You then cut one end apart, and start sewing the '2' strips together. When the 2 strips are sewn into one double strip, you cut the end apart again, sew 4 strips together, and so on until you have made 5 seams! You end up with a really cute quilt top that only needs borders! There were 12 of us doing these strips - fabric everywhere - but, we all finished our whole top in less than 3 hours! Very cute way to make a scrappy looking lap quilt! I think the quilts ended up around 56 by 66 inches depending on your borders!

Nancy
We did the Jelly Roll Race at one of our guild meetings last year....I took my 301a, and there were a few Featherweights, and lots of high $$ newer machines in that room. Probably about 50-60 machines that day. Guess what....I won on my 301a, finishing in 55 minutes. They let us sew the strips end to end before they started timing. But it was GREAT!! My little Ida beating all those fancy plastic fantastic machines!! Yay Vintage!!!