Old 06-11-2012, 05:24 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Hey. You all know by now I'm not a treadle gal. So what's this machine and is it worth my attention? I was thinking of my first attempt at a repaint. Or not.
Candace, it looks like a 27, probably late 1800's - I'd guess in the 1890's somewhere due to the wood pitman! The true 27's were not made long due to the location of the bobbin winder. That machine had to have a treadle belt to wind the bobbin, that is why later on people think their 27 was a 127 when actually it might be a 27 - the bobbin winder had just been moved up. Because there was no way to wind a bobbin on the true 27's without the treadle belt, people had to figure out how to wind that bobbin - so they moved the bobbin winder up so it could be wound when a friction belt and motor were added to the machine. Because of the location of the bobbin winder, you'd have to keep this machine a treadle - there would be no way to wind the shuttle unless you have a second machine that takes a shuttle. I'd love to see you take on this project - I bet it would turn out gorgeous!

Well the machine must not be worth 6 cents - that is what is sitting on the top! That veneer would have to be replaced, but it is doable! Remember my 127! It was worse than this machine! The machine would be darling in candy apple red - it looks like the decals are pretty gone anyway!

Oh and picking up this machine might be very interesting - look at the girl with a dress and black what look like old riding boots? Reminds me of Deliverance!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 06-11-2012 at 05:26 AM.