Old 06-11-2012, 07:14 PM
quiltingweb

I used to watch my grandmother sew using her Singer treadle machine. I'm not sure what model it was, but it is now with another family member and well-loved. I've always wanted to have one of my own. Last week at an estate sale, I found a machine for sale for $10. I'm not sure who made it, but it is a Minnehaha model. I think it may have been made by National, but I really don't anything about it. I wasn't too sure about it, but when I went back on the last day of the sale, it was half-price. For $5, I couldn't pass it up. I couldn't imagine leaving it there. Silly, but I didn't think anyone would love it the way I could. I packed up the drawers, folded up the machine and brought it to the check-out table. As I was checking out, he told me that the drawers were being sold separately, but he'd give them to me with the machine. He even told me that the top was bad, but I could take the top off, replace it with a new top and use it as a table. I told him, "I want to use the machine!" He wasn't too sure what to think of that, but I am very happy to have it and can't wait to get it cleaned, oiled and humming.

Last summer, my neighbor gave me her grandmother's Singer, circa 1935. It's in beautiful condition except for the veneer on the case cover. I also bought a charming Kenmore at Goodwill for $4 in the cabinet and gave it to my 13 year old daughter. I have other machines for every day sewing, but I really am fascinated by the vintage machines. I can't wait to add to the family!