View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 05:31 AM
WMD926

Default I would tie it with a coordinating yarn.

Originally Posted by CathieB View Post
The photo is of a lap quilt I've made for my father-in-law's 85th birthday. He is the family historian/geneologist. He grew up very near to Appomatox, VA and his family history is filled with Civil War survivors (and also some that didn't make it). He is quite a history buff and when I found this pattern (which is named "Appomatox") I knew it was perfect for him!

I am trying to decide how to quilt it and would like your input. There are 3 options that I can think of: 1) cross-hatch it on the machine; 2) hand-quilt it - perhaps 1/4" inside each quilt block; or 3) tie it with yarn, as I think it may have been done during the Civil War era. I've used reproduction fabrics and I think it is similar to what was called a "cot quilt," used by the common soldier for functionality - to sleep upon or under for warmth.

I appreciate your input - I need to have it done by next weekend!!!
I would tie it with coordinating yarn. I worried for a long time when making my Granddaughters their quilts but decided to tie them with yarn because of time and money and the first thing they said was "Oh I just love all these little ties." so I know there is a dislike of tying on this site but I do it all the time, they wash well and do not bunch up and it is much quicker and cheaper.