View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Barb V

I always quilt in sections. Right now I am making the yellow brick road quilt. ( You can see my latest pictures I just posted under UBR) Ok. I sew my rows together. Then join either 3 or 4 rows together. Also adding the side border and the top and bottom border where it is suppose to me. You sandwich it together but add extra backing to the top and bottom of the section. After the sections have been quilted roll back the batting and backing and sew the top pieces together. (make sure you do not quilt to the ends of the section where you have to join them.) You quilt that when it is together. Then work each section 1 at a time. laying it right side face down on your table top. trim you batting so it just meets. I usually cut it with a pinking scissors then it will blend in nicely, you can also use a regular scissors. just have it meet. then hand whip the two pieces all across so it lays nice and flat. next. take one section with the backing, just crossing over the batting stitching and lay it nice and flat. THEN, take the other side of the backing and make a nice smooth fold, and lap it over about an inch and a half. and hand stitch it real well, taking back words stitches every once in a while. It will lay flat with no bulges. Then on the top side you can continue to hand quilt what is needed. I find if I add the border as you go it it a lot easier, then adding the border after it is all put together. I hope this is helpful to you and that I explained it ok. It is not hard . I always do my bed quilts this way. Good Luck