View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Rubesgirl

Default Piecing the back . . . HELP Please!

I made a top for a dragon quilt for my DGS, it's 52"x70" with the borders The dragons are fussy cut squares with the dragon centered and it has sashing and cornerstones. The fabrics I have for the back are both 44" wide; one piece is 1 yard (sort of a black and gray chainmail pattern) and the other is 1.5 yards (black flying dragons on a gray background). I know that the person who does the LAQ for me would like to have a 4" overage on each side, which means I will need a back that is 60"x78". My math skills do not extend beyond that, unfortunately. I would really appreciate some help figuring out how to piece the back. Do I have enough material? Do I need more? How should I cut it and piece it to best use what I have? I've never pieced a back before, I've always used wide backer fabric or bought 2 lengths of the same fabric and sewed them together to make one big piece. I'm sure there is probably a simple solution, but it escapes me and I'm getting flustered. I know you all have a vast amount of information and skill that I may never acquire, so I sure could use some help on this.