View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 07:51 AM
MarleneC

Originally Posted by turner0106 View Post
I'm wanting to try free motion quilting. I signed up for the online course with craftsy.com "Beyond Basic Machine Quilting". I have reviewed parts of this. However, my first question is what tools are a must have for FMQ. Which sewing foot do you use and do you like it? What tips or advise can you offer?

Thanks Everyone
Diane
I just took a FMQ class and the first thing we did was make a sandwich anywhere from 18"-22" square and divided that up into squares-- down the middle top to bottom and side to side and then again on sides and across--straight stitched down those lines to make the squares--started out doing the 5 shapes found in any design--arc, s-curve, straight line, loop and hook (which looks like a cursive c). Instructor advised setting machine at slow speed and pressing fast on the pedal--I found medium speed and fast pedal worked best on my machine. I had also watched the Craftsy "Beyond Basic Machine Quilting" class and Leah Day's videos and had done meandering and arcs on a quilt. I used Machinger's gloves but didn't feel the slider helped much. I bought a table with insert that helped. The next quilt I do I will use the quadrant method so that there isn't all the quilt between needle and arm of the machine. I think the most important thing to remember is always keep the needle in needle down position so the quilt doesn't shift when you stop and start again. I used an open toed darning/quilting foot.