View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Skittl1321

Default Workshop: Help me decide

I am getting ready to register for workshops at the Des Moines quilt show. I have narrowed it down to two quilting workshops with Diane Gaudynski. I can only go to one.

If you were me, which would you pick (and why...)?

Freehand Echo Feathers:
Learn proven techniques for beautiful freehand feathers with no backtracking in both formal and organic whimsical designs. Feather edging, plumes, vines, and wreaths will add richness and focal points to your quilting.

Perfect Free Motion Quilting
Have you learned free-motion basics and now need to perfect your skills with fresh ideas for quilting on your home machine? Improve free-motion skills, solve basic problems with good machine control, proper tension, stitch quality, and consistency with interesting designs so your work looks wonderful. Work on a techniques sampler in class and enlarge your quilting horizons.

Both classes say they require intermediate skill level, which I have. Here are my thoughts:
I want to take the second class more because I think it will offer more variety (she is also doing 3 other half day classes, on circles, bananas, and I think another one) so this won't cover any specific shape. It sounds like it is the best way for me to get a good sampler of what to do with my quilting. However, because it is less focused I'm worried it will get bogged down by beginners who signed up without having a base in FMQing. I've seen that happen at too many supposedly advanced classes. I also am already pretty good at troubleshooting my tension and such- but having never taken a class, I think I could still learn from this.)

The reason why I want to take the feather class is because I LOVE feathers, and mine suck, but I also worry it is too narrowly focused so I won't get as much out of it as if I took the other one.

So which would you do?