View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Barbm

Lots of ideas here! I called the builder of our house. They now build it with a room over the garage. I asked him to call me with costs.

Full spectrum lighting- cool- I told hubby to get that for the toybox. I will certainly check that out. The room is over the garage- well away from water issues. I like the door as a cutting table. That might work for my temporary solution now.

I was thinking a wall of cabinets -upper and lower with countertops for "stuff" and pegboard for the wall area between. Lots of outlets too. This would be the wall that joins to the present house.

One wall will have 2 large windows- spaced above the ones right now in the garage to add symetry and not make it look added on. This also will be all cabinets, upper and lower. I want window seats in the space below the window, to sit on and boxes underneath for storage. It faces the front of the house.

The next wall that would be over the garage I want no cabinets, but a double window centered on the wall with a half circle over it. I do not plan to have window treatments so I can look out (we don't have neighbors for thousands of feet on all sides). This will be our seating area with 2 chairs and probably a wall mounted tv.

The last wall will face the back of the house. It will have a set of patio doors (or French doors) leading out to a 10'x 24' deck. I may do more windows on either side, depending on how much room I have. I kind of want to keep the corner of the last wall and this wall open for my quilt frame that I have never set up yet.

I also want a work station towards the front of the house, by the 2 walls of cabinets.

Oh- under the deck- I told hubby I want concrete pad, so I can park there since I've never been able to park in the garage in 8 years (long story- someone always takes my space). And a laundry line between the posts- the one I have only holds 3 loads of wash.

I want to share- he plays his accordian across the hall from me now and I have to stop and go across the hall to see him (easier for me- the accordian weighs about 27 lbs.). I figure he and I will spend a lot of time together as we get older and I love to be with him.

Lainee- I do have a bit of the toy box- I park my 67 firebird in there. And I have lots of free car maintenence.