Old 06-13-2012, 06:16 PM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Thanks for the update Anne. Personally I find the "Knight" story interesting. Chickasaw County is the next county over and down from me. When DH was a kid his dad bought a young cow from a man with that surname from that area. Cow's name was STELLA. Always dipped her tail in the gutter and then washed her back with it. DH was disappointed as she never had a heifer calf. Other than her sloppiness she was a very good milk cow.

Anxious to see the MCompass, Carrie. Hope you commented on how it went together
QNS, never tasted turnips before, but may have to--that potato turnip combo sounds so simple, but sooo good. Today fixed potato/corn chowder for dinner--mumm good and gone. One thing I buy is whole dry milk. With the influx of Hispanics to the area it is now common on the grocery shelf. (They reconstitute if for their kids to drink.) Nestle makes the product in a couple size cans. NIDO is the Spanish name for it. I mix equal proportions of dry milk (NIDO) and flour together and put it in a jar near the stove. Whenever I want to thicken a soup or gravy I stir it into the liquid. Worked great with my chowder today.
Meanwhile back in the sewing kitchen, I'm cooking up a box of chocolates! GS has a basket fundraiser at the Fair to help defray enrollment costs. His club's basket is "Death by Chocolate". One of the dad's made a coffin for the basket, I'm making the lining (a table topper in browns) and they are filling it with lots of chocolate items--candy, chocolate soaps, box of decadent brownie mix, hot chocolate, etc. Will share my finished product when done, Must be done by Monday. Then kids start filling the house on Friday night, some stay the weekend, others all week.

Oh GGal, that sounds so tempting; a KT retreat would be fun. Too bad it's not in the cards, I'm sure Carrie and I would have a great time together if we joined you!