View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 10:18 PM
ShirlR

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Shirley,

I get my Tri-Flow oil and grease from Sew-Classic.com: http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/

Here is the controls and the inside of the trap door with it's pattern instructions:

The "A-B-C" settings on the left are pretty much standard for the cams. To install and remove the cams you need to turn the right control (inside nob) off of the "Special" place, then once the cam in, they just snap in, you put the control back on the "Special" slot.

Here is a pic showing the difference between the Singer flat and top hat cams:

And here is pic showing a cam installed:

Now here is two pics of the machine with the top off:

In this pic you can see much of the interior of the machine and that there is a bunch of moving parts to oil. Your owners manual will give you specific instructions on what to oil and what to grease.
I've marked the picture with notes. O's for oil, G's for grease. The owners manual says to use the Singer Lube for the gears, but I think the Tri-Flow grease works better. The only non metal gear in this machine is the big fiber gear on the back of the hand wheel. The owners manual says grease it.

In this pic the vertical shafts the cam stack controls slide up and down on is indicated by an arrow. These need to be clean and oiled or they will bind and jam.
If you look back on the pic with the cam installed you'll see two holes to the left of the cam stack, a slot with a shaft and hole in it's center, the top of the cam stack with a hole in it's center, and three holes to the lower right of the trap door mortise. These are all oil holes.
This isn't all of the top either, and under the bottom there is a bunch of other oiling places.

Keep it clean, oiled and greased and it will run nice.

Here is the link to what I'm fairly sure is the owners manual I downloaded and printed. It's a pretty big .pdf file so it will take a bit of time to load.
http://www.singerco.com/uploads/down...0496cf11fe.pdf
If it's the manual I think it is there is extensive info in there on how to operate the machine as well as lube it.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions ..... ask.

Joe
Joe,

I can't thank you enough for the time and detail you have furnished in response to my question. I am always humbled and in awe of the kindness and generosity of members of this Board when help is needed by another member. You have have certainly helped me tremendously with the pictures and advice you have furnished. I am so grateful. I've printed out the information and the pictures and will keep it with the machine. Thanks again!!!