View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 08:07 AM
SouthPStitches

I hand quilt as much as possible. I sometimes machine quilt extremely small projects such as runners or placemats but do not enjoy it. I have had a couple larger quilts done long arm and although they came out wonderfully, I prefer the softness of a hand quilted piece and the way it drapes so nicely.

I make sure whatever I'm hand quilting is basted well because I no longer use a hoop. I just start from the middle of the project and work out from there. Don't use a thread longer than the length from your wrist to your elbow. This eliminates twisting/knotting and torquing your hand, wrist and forearm too much.

The thing about hand quilting is you get to revisit what you've done. Really enjoy the pattern used, and the pattern within each fabric. It's interesting and relaxing to see dimension forming and almost a topography going on. It also is comforting to be working on this at night, with your favorite dog taking one corner of the quilt for a test drive nap.

Lot's of people hate the actual quilting and I can respect that and would not judge how their choices. There's some wonderful options out there. Personally, I feel even more connected by my quilts, knowing I personally sewed every stitch. Happy Stitching!