Old 06-14-2012, 08:43 AM
jennb

Default Need help with newly acquired treadle machine

Hi everyone. I'm new around here, but I'm looking for some specific help! I've been wanting a treadle to fix up and learn on for awhile, and I finally found one at a swap meet. The lady I was talking to had no real idea what she had on her hands, and said she didn't bring it with her, but as we were talking, it came up I was looking for one and she described it, then said she wanted 20 dollars for it. Needless to say I bought it sight unseen. Went to pick it up and was more than pleased with what I acquired. Here's what I know. It is a Davis Vertical Feed, serial number 3724713. Original cabinet and iron stand. It appears to have all the parts, but needs new belts. Everything moves and other than some dirt and dust, looks to be in really good condition. They had been in the process of refinishing the cabinet, but otherwise it is all as it originally was. Since I'm keeping it to learn to use, I'm not concerned about the cabinet, and I'll finish the restoration of it. here is a photo of the machine itself sitting on top of the cabinet:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]342047[/ATTACH]

I can't seem to find any information as to the date of the machine, though I know it is before 1924, when Davis stopped making machines. The plate says nothing aside from the serial number and an image of a needle saying "USE THIS LENGTH NEEDLE". Does anyone know the following:
1.) Date of machine
2.) Where I can find needles, bobbins, belts for it
3.) Appx retail value of the machine so I can add it to our insurance
4.) Tips on cleaning it
5.) Where to acquire a manual or instructions on how to use it.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails treadle.jpg