Old 06-14-2012, 09:59 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Linda, yes, your 301 will do great at the Jelly Roll Race!! I won a race with my 301 against many Featherweights and other high $$ modern machines!! One major tip: Be sure you have multiple bobbins wound before you start. I luckily had a gal not doing the race who had her Featherweight sitting next to me, and she kept winding bobbins for me. So I think it took 2-1/2 bobbins to do the whole thing. I think...it's been over a year. Just "pedal to the metal" and go for it!! It's a race, not a contest in perfection. Be careful you don't twist the long lengths of strips as you pull them up together. Overall, HAVE FUN!! It's a blast when everyone in the room is madly sewing and talking and shouting back & forth!! Wish I was doing another one....
Linda, I second everything Janice said and want to add! Don't worry about thread tails! I am a neatnick when sewing and always cut off my thread tails - don't stop to do that just keep sewing! We had to sew all our seams in a 45 - don't draw lines, just line up the 2 ends and sew them together! It doesn't matter if they are off a little! When you get to the end - grab the other end and start sewing them together! Don't worry about a twist the first seam! You will cut it apart anyway! After the first seam make sure you won't end up with a twist - it is too hard to cut straight with twists as the piece gets wider and wider! Make sure you have an extra wound bobbin - I ran out and had to wind one! I also, ran out of thread as I was at the end of a spool anyway! Go for it!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 06-14-2012 at 10:03 AM.