View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 10:51 AM
Skyangel

I am just a beginner at hand quilting, I'm working on my first piece. My mother started a Hawaiian applique wall hanging in the 70s, during the year we lived there. She completed the applique part and them we moved back to California. A few years ago, My Hubby and I we were on a trip to Hawaii (with My Mom and her friend) and were admiring some Hawaiian quilts we saw. I said I wanted to do one some day. My Mom said I have one you can finish. After 35 years, she knew right where it was and gave it to me when we got back. My goodness, it was brown and gold. After looking at it for quite awhile, I decided to add batik borders that would compliment the brown and gold but bring in more colors to distract the eye. My Hubby bought me a Grace lap hoop. I then took a handquilting class at my LQS with the ThimbleLady from Australia, Luxine Newman. After a few hours in her class my stitches were looking much nicer and more consistant. I ended up buying one of her thimbles and her book "Handquilting without Pain". She has a great technique and I hope I can finish this piece. I know I will treasure it being made by my mom and quilted by me (albeit 40 years apart)!

Last edited by Skyangel; 06-14-2012 at 10:53 AM.