Old 06-14-2012, 02:09 PM
quiltingweb

Default Sticking my toe in the waters of Vintage Sewing Machines

I thought I would start a thread instead of bouncing around as I've been doing. I'll still bounce around, but if anyone wants to find me, I'll be here.

I bought....I should say "saved" or "adopted"...my first machine last weekend. A Minnehaha treadle machine, for $5. I'll post a picture asap, but I have posted it in other places here, so I don't want to be redundant. I want to clean it up before I try to sew with it, but I know that it works, all the parts move, the treadle works, etc. The gears for the bobbin winder are a little gummy, so that might be a challenge, but I think with a little cleaning it might be OK.

I've watched the videos about cleaning, winding bobbins, etc and have enjoyed them and I have been looking at most of the sights suggested here for more information. I don't know what company made my machine...I've had a few suggestions of either a branded Standard or a National, but I've seen a Davis that also looks very similar, so that is a mystery I would like to solve. It looks a lot like the Minnesota that was made by Goodrich and sold by Sears. There are patent dates listed, and the last one is 1904, so...does that mean it was made in or around 1904?

I have other "new" machines. I have a Kenmore that I use most often. I have a Viking/Husqvarna #1+ that I've tried to like, but I keep going back to the simplicity of my Kenmore. I bought a Singer at the same estate sale, a 1969 Stylist in a cabinet that I thought would be a fun machine for my daughter to use. I also have a Nolting Long-arm machine for quilting.

Anyway, I thought I could post my progress here so I don't hi-jak anyone else's threads.

Thanks for all the welcoming words and advice. I really appreciate it!

Barb