View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Favorite Fabrics

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
I have to wonder if you should have refunded her the money. I wonder if they are now in your account or if she ever actually paid you before you refunded her. Something is not right.
I don't think there is any way that the fraudsters could gain access to my account, so I'm not worried about that. I did block the IP address from which the transaction was placed, so they will not be able to order using that particular computer again.

I did wonder whether I should wait for PayPal to just take the money back (assuming that the person did actually report to PayPal that there had been a fraudulent e-check)... but after checking to see that the shipping address did not seem to have any connection to the billing address, I would not have shipped the order anyway. So there was IMHO nothing to be gained by waiting to issue the refund.

BTW... whenever I have a REALLY valuable package - or a situation that makes me uneasy - I send the package via USPS restricted delivery, which means that only the person to whom the package is addressed can sign for and claim it. They also have to show government issued photo id to claim it. I believe this is the best way to insure safety for both buyer and seller. For the buyer: nobody else can lurk in their yard, and steal the package when it's delivered. For the seller: there's no chance that the buyer can take delivery and then claim that he/she did not receive it (or that a third party forged the buyer's name when signing for the package).