Old 06-16-2012, 07:02 AM
paintmejudy

Default Step 5

All I can say is WOW -- all the pieces you have shown are wonderful, and there are going to be beautiful quilts.

And now, I think you will figure out where this is all going. Can’t think of how to keep the mystery going any longer.

5-COLOR QUILT:
Now, take color C and cut 2 WOF strips that are 4-½” wide and from this cut 16 4-½” squares. You will need these 16 4-½” blocks of Color C background and the 48 half-square triangles you have made from the second step posted on May 26th.

I’ve posted two pictures of the blocks laid out, one showing the entire quilt top and another showing one-quarter of it. You can sew 8 blocks together to make 8 rows, then sew the 8 rows together. Or after laying out all the blocks, sew one-quarter of the top at a time, sewing 4 rows of 4 blocks each, and then sew the 4 sections together.

Please take note: It is very important to keep your rows in order and the pieces in the proper direction as you sew them together with a ¼” seam. For those of you who are unsure of how to proceed , a hint -- I pin a number in the upper left corner of the block. Sorry the picture shows only the 5 bottom rows, not the 3 first rows. Then pick up the blocks, one row at a time. Start by picking up block number 1 holding the number at the top. then pick up the second block, putting it behind the first block, , and pick up all blocks, keeping them in order in order. Pick up a second row.

When I get to the machine (3rd picture) , I place the pile in front of me with the number in the upper left, and put the second block from the pile right sides together and sew the block. I still refer to the layout to make sure I didn’t mix anything up. Perhaps you can print out a picture of the layout, and keep it by your machine as you sew. Press the rows, alternating direction of the seams. I press toward the right on even numbered rows, toward the left on odd numbered rows. Sew rows together, and press the seams.
To save a picture off this thread, highlight the picture, use the copy function, right click mouse on save and give it a name so you can find it easily. It will then be able to be printed off your hard drive.

SCRAPPY:
Cut 2 WOF color C at 4-1/2” wide, make 16 of these blocks, your background fabric. Assemble as shown in the scrappy picture, and sew together using either of the methods described above in the 5-color quilt - sewing it in quarter sections or 8 rows of 8 blocks.

Can’t wait to see your medallions!

Hope my directions are not too confusing. In an hour I’m off to a sewing bee for the charity I sew for, and will be back in the afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails medallion-1.jpg   medallion-2.jpg   medallion-3.jpg   medallion-4.jpg