Old 06-16-2012, 07:11 AM
ShirlinAZ

Originally Posted by ZugZug View Post
Machine just came back from annual check up/cleaning so im reluctant to think that especially since everything seems the same as before (this is the first time I have used this machine to piece, I usually garmet sew on it). The pull is slight. Aftersewing four strips together, I am off by 1/16th of an inch. The cover has always had movement, even my new BL Esante has the same amount of movement on the little slide that covers the bobbin case (movement is like 1/32 of an inch, not much but makes it hard to attach anything to it). Main complaint about the slide cover is that it has to be removed to replace the bobbin so anything you place over it has to come off to put in a new bobbin, and then its time to "find" my 1/4" spot again. Maybe its just me and I should stick to my garmet sewing.
I have a top loading bobbin also, and I like to use painters tape in addition to my 1/4" foot. I positioned the painters tape, then used an X-acto knife to cut around the bobbin cover. Worked like a charm. The tape is always there without any repositioning.

Why do I use both tape and 1/4" foot, you ask? When using squares to sew HSTs I like up the corners on the tape and I don't waste time drawing diagonal lines. It really does work.