View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 05:50 AM
elizajo

Since you will be on the second floor, you could easily put some kind of padding under a wood floor installation so that you have a cushioned surface to stand on. I have slate floors that are hard on my back to stand for long periods of time and would love that.

I do Google searches or look in Webshots for images of sewing studios from time to time. One of my favorite ideas is to install one or more decorative curtain rods (with clips on the sliding rings) above a bank of closet doors and hang a flannel sheet for a design "wall". Since you have a lovely view, something like that might be an option. While I am sewing, I would rather have another window to look out of than a big white flannel wall.

I just made myself an ironing table for the area adjacent to my sewing table. On top of a folding 4' table, I placed some plywood , then 2 layers of felted wool yardage, and topped it with some leftover chintz. Soon I'll draw a grid onto canvas and staple the works to the plywood. I put two rolling storage carts under the table with removable drawers for my cut strips organized by sizes.

One of my closets is really a computer station, so the doors stay open unless I have guests staying in there. I installed adhesive hooks on them to hang my rulers. It really makes a difference to have them hanging near your cutting area for easy access.

Something I learned from teaching elementary school for years: organize small tools and supplies by task in mobile containers, then organize the containers on shelves or cabinets. That way, you can grab a work basket instead of pulling tools and supplies out of various cabinets. You may end up needing duplicates of certain supplies such as scissors, but you save precious sewing time.