Thread: Toni's gift
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Jim's Gem

Default Toni's gift

I have to tell you what my friends and I did today. We have a group of ladies, all from church, my dearest friends (two of them have sons married to my daughters) anyway, One gal in our group is single, living on a fixed income, had a severe brain injury 20 years ago, has no family in the area. She loves to sew but can't really afford much fabric or really much of anything. I have been giving her fabrics for Quilts for Kids Quilts to sew and she has put together about 15 of these for me so far (7 of them went out on Tuesday with one I put together). She had this tiny, cheap (under $100 20 years ago)sewing machine. Well it has been having problems and the guy who repairs it for her asked her if she considered buying another one. Toni said "no" I can't afford one. Well, 7 of us got together and pitched in and bought her a little computerized Brother sewing machine for $170. It weighs only 14 lbs (weight is an issue with Toni) and has 60 different stitches on it. I called her up last night and told her I wanted to show her something. Only 4 of us could be here at the time she could come by. I gave her a big hug and told her we loved her and enjoyed having her sewing with us and really appreciated all the volunteer work she does around the church and all the kids quilts she sews and I pointed her to a wrapped box on my dining table. Well, she was shocked and deeply touched and had tears in her eyes. It was so cool!!!!! We are going to try and find a rolling cart for it, there were some on sale at JoAnns. She's in her 70's and it is getting really hard for her to carry the machine to her car from her apartment and stuff so we're going to surprise her with that if we can get one this afternoon.
Just had to tell you. I had tears in my eyes watching her reaction. Two of us then showed her how to get started on the machine. With her brain injury she has a hard time learning new things sometimes. I'm sure that she will have lots of questions but we are all happy to help her.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!