Old 06-17-2012, 04:49 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Question on the dedicated left hand machine. Isn't the painter's tape over the feed dogs? I checked out my Universal tonight looking for a machine to use while the 301 is out of commission and the needle is so far left that a 1/4" will be in the right feed. I don't see how it can sew a straight 1/4". All I can do is try tomorrow after I put a new plug on it.
Rose, yes and no! No the painters tape is not over the feed dogs. Kassidy is making a rag quilt, which requires a 1/2 seam allowance - for clipping later. Yes, to make a 1/4 seam the right feed dog would be covered with a true left hand position needle. You know, to sew garments we always used a 5/8" seam, so not being able to do a 1/4" was not a problem with people who made clothes etc.! It would be a problem with a quilter - I am not sure how that situation was handled - I agree, I don't see how you could do a 1/4" seam on a dedicated left position machine? This is my first left needle position machine - it is different, but if I were still making clothes, doing weddings, etc., it wouldn't matter! It only matters now that I am a quilter!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 06-17-2012 at 04:51 AM.