View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Quilting Aggi

Originally Posted by CRH
I have made 2 chenille blankets (small), and used extra sharp small bladed scissors that were supposed to be good for this the first time -- NEVER AGAIN!! The second time I used my electric scissors (mine are Black and Decker, and pretty heavy duty). This time it was A BREEZE!!

Just thought I'd mention this for those of you who already have electric scissors (they were pretty popular in the "old days", well, 'medium old days' anyway!!!

Andrea has a lot more experience, so she may have some insight on this.

I have heard of people using the electric scissors too. Although, I myself feel a bit uneasy using them as I don't always have a steady hand. If you do have these scissors though and are comfortable with them, certainly give them a try!!! Just remember that you are working with 4 layers of fabrics, but you are only cutting through the first top 3 layers and leaving the bottom layer alone. You are also cutting between narrow areas. So if your electric scissors are thick, you might not get a steady or straight a cut. Remember the slash cutters both the palm held and the regular hand held style have an extended arm to prevent you from cutting on an angle and to keep your lines straight.

CRH if these electric scissors work for you then keep on using them!!! Work with what you are more comfortable with!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea