Old 06-17-2012, 02:20 PM
crisscross

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Edit after reading more posts: The hum may be a motor problem or the belt may be too tight. Try loosening it.
But...it does the same thing with the belt totally off. I can sometimes get the motor to run slowly (with or without the belt on), but it's unreliable--the "breaking point" is razor thin, like a super touchy clutch in a car, so sometimes, it will be going slowly and then just stop without me really letting up on the pedal at all. And then it doesn't want to start slowly again, it only wants to go from 0-60. If you graphed its speed when I'm trying to achieve a slow, sustainable speed,, it would look something like:

.......___
....../.....\
...../..........\
..../...............\
.../...................--------___

if that makes sense?

Are you turning the handwheel toward you a bit to start the machine? Some oldies like this.
No! But this is a great point. I will try it.

My foot pedal appeared to riveted - it wasn't. The cover slides (and I use that term loosely) in grooves on either outer edge of the bottom. Enter the hammer.
No kidding?
...although I should be careful, given that I've been known to damage things by being of the "If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer" school of thought in the past.

Last edited by crisscross; 06-17-2012 at 02:22 PM.