Old 06-18-2012, 12:18 PM
mpspeedy

I recently traded my Bernina 1260 for an Bernina Artista 185. I didn't spring for the embroidery module because I already own two stand alone embroidery machines and the software would not fit the Artista. It has an even wider throat plate than my 1260 so I had to purchase a seperate throatplate with just a small hole to keep it from eating small items or lightweight fabrics. Years ago I purchased a clear slide on extension table for my sewing machine. Just having what you are working on totally supported by the extra platform helps alot with getting a consistant seam. I actually broke the extension top at one of my retreats. Fortunately for me my husband is a machinist and was able to make me a new acrylic surface and use the legs from the broken one.
I think the Singer Featherweights are so popular because they create a beautiful consistant 1/4 seam. I own one and if I were to do a lot of piecing I would get it out and use it more often. My Mother had one she purchased in 1936 on which I learned to sew. I gave it to my neices after she passed away as she had taught them to sew on it and they really appreciated having it. I was lucky enough to purchase one at a yardsale in mint condition for just $20. I have taken it to the few workshops I attended just because it weighs so much less than my Bernina and is so great for piecing.
I use the trick about putting the looser fabric on the bottom and it really works to add borders especially.